Thursday, September 22, 2011

Spiritual Food

I had a great conversation the other day with a friend and brother on the topic of spiritual growth.  It has been my experience that growing in knowledge and understanding spiritually consists of the same principals of learning we have been using our entire lives.

Our beliefs should be solidified as we find truth in what we are studying.  I believe that it is important to first consume the “baby food” as stated in 1 Corinthians 3:2.  Many people are reluctant to go back and solidify their basic beliefs, mainly because of the way that Christians view themselves in comparison to other believers. 

There is pressure on everyone in a Church or study group to evolve and gain knowledge based on how long they have been a part of the denomination.  Because of this many people will concede thoughts or beliefs to pastors or elders in order to gain prospective spiritual growth.  I believe that it is important for each person to grow spiritually according to the understanding and knowledge one seeks.

At dinner a few nights ago my five year old daughter wanted to show off her newly gained skill in multiplication.  Schooled by her slightly older sister, she began with 1 x 1, 1 x 2, etc…  I congratulated her after she had finished and then asked a simple question.  Do you know what 2 x 2 equals?  She shrugged her shoulders at me as if she had no interest.  She had only memorized what her teacher had offered.  This can be similar to how we grow spiritually as well. 

Even if what we are being taught to recite is accurate, a person who has not learned the principals of a topic has no real depth of knowledge.  Because my daughter is so young and hasn’t developed her skill mathematically, she can give the illusion of knowledge, but when challenged with another simple question it is beyond her expertise.

As we develop spiritually, it is important to not get ahead of ourselves as we learn.  Build a strong foundation of understanding first, carefully study and pray about each new idea and belief.  Don’t allow yourself to choke on solid food, when milk is needed to develop.

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you back and blogging, I enjoy reading your posts. :)

    And good point - it can be so easy to bite off more than we can chew, and then get bogged down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich, it has been a while. I hope to stay more current on my postings. Thanks for the comments brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I'm Rebecca (aka RJ2011 - coffee shop), but never mind lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Rebecca, I should have known by the image. I'm a little embarrased :) Thanks for straightening me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe an every new Christian needs a mentor. It can be someone in the family or someone from a local Church. I know a new Christian can grow on their own but it helps to have assistance along the way. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete